Monday, September 26, 2005

Can we just start lectures already?

Don't get me wrong. I love being back at uni, but this whole introductory week/fortnight is starting to wear thin. Especially as uni days mean 6am starts, long walks to the train station, scandalous ticket prices and a nice hour long journey.

So I was not too pleased with todays 'Communications Workshop' I had to go to. Which consisted of us talking in groups about the top 8 (Why not 10? Who the fuck knows?) inventions of the last century. And then attempting to make a structure out of drinking straws and pins which would hold up a house brick.

I am never going to get those 3 hours of my life back. I just want someone to give me some actual work to do, so you know, I could learn something. >_<

Expect a post about this time next week where I will be bitching about how much work I have to do. Yes, I am most difficult to please. Why do you think I am so permanently single?

2 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Blogger SaneScientist said...

The compulsary courses that Postgrads have to take get worse and worse. Wait until you have to do the "coomunication skills" workshop. Mine was given in the third year by the worst communicator in the department. Most of the students had already given several talks by that point, so it was a bit too late. What a shame the Metro doesn't do crosswords anymore. That kept me sane on more than one occassion at the back of a workshop.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Sessy said...

Apparently building crap out of straws is part of said com skills course.

Having been at Manc before I am used to giving talks but surprisingly most of the other post grads haven't given that many.Time to dust off my final year research project talk.

Luckily years of working in a supermarket means I have perfected the ability to stare at a screen and even nod attentively, while actually my brain is several miles away, with Matthew Fox on a Hawaiian beach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home