Monday, September 12, 2005

Money

Aside from being the root of all evil and the only Pink Floyd song that I like, it is a constant worry at the moment.

I start back at uni in a week and money is on my mind constantly. I can't sleep and it is even beginning to affect my appetite. (Which is serious.).

I knew when I quit my job and decided to go back to university that I would be returning to a state of not being able to afford to spend money on luxuries. But even with my part time job I'm beginning to see that I may not be able to even afford the train fare to Manchester. As I am still getting taxed due to having had a decent salary a few months ago.

Also I still owe my Dad and my Grandparents money, I've just bought a new pair of glasses and I need a new pair of boots as my others have all died.

I've been brought up with the attitude that you buy what you afford. Debt is not an option. Which with the exception of student debt (and loans from family) is how I have lived.

Until now. If my LEA or hardship funds cannot help me out then my only choice is selling a kidney or have to use my overdraft.

I can't even tell my Dad as he'd go nuts! I hate it! I worked so damn hard to get to where I am and now it seems that I'm going to have to spend the rest of my life paying for it. At the risk of sounding childish, it's not fair. It's not like I'm out buying rubbish left, right and centre, but I can forget an semblence of a social life at this rate too.

Here endeth the rant.

2 Comments:

At 2:37 AM, Blogger SaneScientist said...

Debt's a pisser. I'd just made a large dent in the large amount of debt I'd accumulated over my 8 years in Uni - and suddenly, I'm under-employed again, earning about 1/3rd what I used to and already I am back where I was 18 months ago, and relying on the bank of Mum and Dad again! They don't begrudge me a penny god bless them (they keep on asking how I am every time I phone) - but it puts a bit of a dent in your sense of pride.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Sessy said...

My LEA basically hung up on me when I told them I was doing an MSc. So my only hope now is a hardship fund from Manc.

I love my parents dearly and I know they'd do anything to help me but my sis is in uni at the moment. So they are helping her out.

I'll figure something out. Even if it does mean a year out after my MSc before a PhD so I can wipe out my overdraft.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home