Thursday, October 18, 2007

I Did A Good Deed

I went and gave blood yesterday, so naturally I am knackered today and my elbow area is a nice bluey-purple colour. But I have that inherent smugness that goes along with knowing I did a good thing.

My first problem is they have to play hunt the vein on both of my arms. Apparently I have narrow veins (probably the only narrow thing about me but there we have it!!). Then they say 'Make a really tight fist with your left hand.'

Errr. Bit of a problem there. I don't have the full complement of movement in that hand yet. Once the needle is in I have to sit there squeezing a rolled up bandage to help pump the blood out, as I am a bit stingy and it takes AGES!!

Whenever I go I am always surprised by how differently people react to the procedure. When I am done they always make me lie on the bed for ages despite my protests that I am fine. Must be my colouring, but I really am this pale naturally, nothing to do with anaemia! As soon as I've munched my free biscuit and glass of juice I am off. However, I've seen big men sitting there with what can only be described as grey faces.

Maybe it is a short thing. My body doesn't have as far to pump the blood as other people so having less doesn't make so much difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home