Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Home at last!

Boy, am I tired! Got back home about midnight last night and even though I had a completely amazing time in Egypt, it is nice to be back. Back where I can brush my teeth using tap water, I don't feel it necessary to cross myself when riding in a taxi and using a public toilet is not a potentially life threatening experience.

The last few days in Cairo were a lot slower in pace. We went to Giza (of course!) with a taxi driver who only knew how to say 'Hello' in English. So prices and times were agreed mainly through the use of hand gestures and the occasional interpreter. It was fantastic to see the Pyramids but I can't say I enjoyed the atmosphere at Giza. Too many tourists, pushing and shoving and the cat calls from Egyptian men. But climbing up the 40 metres up inside the Great Pyramid to the burial chamber of King Khufu is something I will never forget. It was pretty scary and damn hot but it was worth it just to see those huge stones in the Grand Gallery.

I think my time in Egypt has given me a bit of an insight into what it might be like to be a celebrity. We would walk down the street and everyone would stare, or shout hello and wave, or come over and talk to you. I had several people ask to have their picture taken with me, which is a little odd. But I suppose because I am naturally so pale I am something of a novelty.

I won't miss the attention from the Egyptian men though. You'd think that having people tell me that I'm beautiful would make me feel good. It doesn't. I hate people looking at me and I think because I was the plainest of the girls they targetted me. Perhaps they figured I'd be flattered.

I wasn't.

In a way it'll be nice to be overlooked again.

2 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Godzilla said...

I'm jealous - I've always wanted to go to Egypt myself.

The pictures you've posted are excellent and made me even greener with jealousy!

Don't have such a downer on yourself btw, think positive and good things will come your way I'm sure.

Back to the normal grind now I guess?

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Sessy said...

I've got a week or so off before I go back to uni. So it is nice to relax!

I'd recommend going to Egypt, but if I were to do it again I think I'd miss out Cairo or just go for a day.

The south is much prettier and more chilled.

And thanks for the confidence boost! I do feel alot better about myself after recent events.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home