Thursday, January 19, 2006

Suddenly my body doesn't seem so hideous

Just saw a documentary on Channel 4 (haven't started uni again yet, hence daytie TV addiction) about Pro-Ana websites and their effect on young women. If you haven't heard the controvesry about these sites, basically they support anorexia as a lifestyle choice and not as a mental illness.

A girl of sixteen joined up to these sites to help her get down to 7st for her school prom, while one of the founders of a website took an 18 year old self harmer under her wing to start their own 'restriction plan'. A starvation diet by another name.

But then there was Feodora, 17 years old and checking herself into rehab to battle her illness. She knew that Pro-Ana had been a major factor in her weightloss as the sites hints and tips told her how to further her weightloss and keep it a secret from her family. But she did the rehab and even made it to Leeds Festival despite nearly dying at the beginning of that year.

Looking at these girls so desperate to change their bodies to some unattainable ideal, I realised that I do like having curves and that I don't want to get rid of my boobs or my bum. So I need to lose a couple of pounds to get to a healthy weight, that I'll do. But no more.

I don't want my weight to become a major focus in my life. I like my body. Now, that wasn't as difficult as I thought. Resolution nun#mber 8? Piece of cake!!

2 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger SaneScientist said...

It strikes me that since helping someone to die is currently illegal, the law could be applied a bit more creatively.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Sessy said...

The most disturbing thing was a letter written by 'Ana' to these girls. It basically told them to self harm if they ate something.

This is not the 'support network' the moderators claim. It's brainwashing. And so dangerous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home