Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Tongue-tied and a teensy bit starstruck

Just got back from a book signing by one of my fave authors, Kathy Reichs.

She was great.

She talked all about the science in her books and took questions. I was brave and asked her about the fact she used a victim with Klinefelter's Syndrome in one of her books and wanted to know if she'd worked on a similar case in real life.

Yes. I is a nerd.

Later I got my book signed but was too shy to say anything other than 'Hi' and 'Thank you'. Which is quite unlike me, as I talk a lot. A mean, a lot. But when I came face to face with this woman, I didn't know how to tell her what an inspiration she has been to me ever since I started reading her books. And that was in my mid-teens.

It all sounded so trite in my head anyway, but she has been one of the reasons I chose to pursue a career in science and even to make the leap and go back to uni. Not her alone, I might add, but yeah, she is a hero of mine. A big hero.

And I got to meet her....

But nothing would come out of my mouth.

I'm a nerd but even nerds have heroes.

2 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger SaneScientist said...

I've just recommended her to a Serbian friend - so I figure Prof. Reichs owes me a small commission.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Sessy said...

You should demand royalties for the copies involved. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home